woensdag 3 november 2010

Babies

I know it might not be a subject everyone is interested about, but we can't help to be bump into one from time to time ;-)


Even if you don't like kids you can't deny every child is a miracle. Add 2 bits of 'nothing' together, and a new life is created.


Some babies are really living by the word 'miracle'.
Like the daughter of a close friend of mine. She was born with 24 weeks and 2 days! Yes, 24 weeks and 2 days! (A full term pregnancy is 40 weeks)
Here in The Netherlands a baby isn't called a 'baby' before the 24weeks and 6 days mark. Before that it's a fetes. Before that mark they usually don't even try to safe a baby after it's born. The change of the baby being severly disabled is so high. The actually prepared my friend that she would take home a dead baby. She and her husband didn't want their baby saved at all cost. They didn't think it would be fair to the child if it would be severly disabled. So they kinda left it to the doctors. They said that the baby needed to 'show' them that she wanted to fight. So after she was born, she breathed and tried to cry. That was the sign they needed, and they got into action.
To cut a very long story very short:
She weighed 650 grams (1.43 pounds) on the day she was born, July 26th. And when she came home on October 30th she weighed 2570 gram (5.67 pounds). And as far as they know, she's healthy.
I visited her at the hospital once and then I visited her today.
It was so good seeing my friend, her husband and now have their daughter home with their son. Their son is a 1 year old little lad, who hadn't seen his sister before she came home.
I'm soooo happy it all went well, in the end. I'm so proud of my friend, her husband and their baby. They've some incredible difficult weekd, but they pulled through. Together!
This little girl truely is a miracle.



It makes you think how lucky we really are when we do get healthy babies that are born after 40 weeks.
Every day thousands of babies are being born. And most have them have no problems at all. The lucky ones.

I work with babies 3 days a week. And they're precious. Every single one of them. I feel honoured I get to look after the most precious 'possession' these parents have. It's a blessing. I might not realise that when I'm cleaning up sick of the floor. But after that, I really do. 

By the way, the appointment at the hospital for my pacemaker went really well. It's doing its job.





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten