vrijdag 29 juni 2012

'Old' friends

Things happen in life.
You make friends, you lose friends.

In the past, I've lost some amazing friends. People always say that when the friendship ends, they never were your real friends to begin with. I won't deny I haven't said that in past myself. But I've learned over the years that isn't always the case.
I've lost touch with some amazing people, who were true friends at the time.

You deal with these things. You learn to live without those people in your life. It might be very hard, but you move on.
But what I have found that those people will still be in your heart. They might be given a different place there, but you still think of them every now and then. At least, that's what I've found. You still have the amazing memories you made together. And those will stay with you forever.

Of the people I've lost touch with there's one person you I could never forget about.
For a long time I was fine with not being in touch with her. I had some seriously changing to do and I had the opportunity and the strength to do so.
This woman wasn't doing too well when we lost touch. And I always wondered how she was. What happened to her, and whether she made a full recovery.
I discovered she had a Facebook account. I visited her profile every now and then until I'd build enough strength to send her a message.
I truly had no idea what I wanted to achieve with that message. But I had enough peace with myself and her that if she wouldn't wanna talk to me, I'd be fine with it.
But I was extremely happy when I got a message back. We were open and honest with each other from day 1. It was amazing. We've been messaging, texting and phoning each other for over a year and last night was when we met up again. I was willing to meet up with her sooner. But she needed some more time. And in hindsight I'm glad she needed that time. This past year has been great to get to know each other all over again. Find out how we've both changed and what part of ourselves has remained the same.




Yesterday at work I was really nervous. But good nervous. My colleague described it as 'I'm-getting-a-new-bike-nervous'. And that was exactly how it felt.
She looks amazing and giving her a massive hug was what I needed. After not seeing her for 3 years it was so good to hold her again.
We had a drink, wondered around in some shops. But soon settled on a terrace with a drink again. We had so much to talk about. Reliving some old memories, but mainly talking about ourselves. What we've both been through in the past 3 years and what growth we've experienced.

It's not picking up where we left off 3 years ago. It was still very familiar, but also so very new. We're 2 different people. We still have that same pull we have towards each other that made us become friends in the first place. But because we're both so different now we are entering this new-found friendship on a whole different level. And it's so much more enjoyable. For me anyway. I can't speak for her ;-)
I have no doubt that this is the beginning a very long friendship. Like a part 2 of our friendship. Take That (the band that brought us together) had a part 2, and so are we.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten